Summer is in full swing and we are celebrating it with some Summery Picnic Magic! Soaking up the sun and adding Vitamin D to the mix right now is good advice! Our picnic snacks are easy to prepare and great for the whole family and all the kids still on holiday to enjoy. Pigs in a blanket, spicy chicken roti’s, corn and cucumber salad, and curried hake empanadas.
- 1 packet Magpie puff pastry, rolled out and cut into 12 squares
- 500 grams Boerewors, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
- 1 packet Magpie roti’s, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 whole roasted chicken, meat removed and shredded
- 50 ml sriracha sauce
- 300 ml mayo
- Some Hinds black pepper
- 200 grams baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 2 tins Rhodes quality sweetcorn in brine
- 1 cucumber deseeded and cubed
- A handful of mint, washed chopped and chopped
- 50 ml White wine vinegar
- 150 ml Willow Creek Persian Lime flavoured Olive Oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 15 ml whole grain mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500 grams hake fillets, chopped into cubes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 15 ml Fresh grated ginger
- 30 ml Pakco roasted masala curry powder
- 1 tin Rhodes quality chopped tomatoes
- Salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- 1 packet Magpie shortcrust pastry
- 1 tin Rhodes quality peach slices
- 1 cup sweet chilli sauce
- Some Willow Creek Jalapeno flavoured olive oil for frying
- 170 grams Butter
- 45 ml golden syrup
- 5 ml Bicarbonate of soda
- 100 grams White sugar
- 50 grams brown sugar
- 5 ml salt
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 1/4 cups SASKO cake flour
- 5 ml Hinds ground cinnamon
- 5 ml Hinds ground ginger
- Some melted chocolate to drizzle over the crunchies
Brush each pastry square with some egg and place the boerewors pieces on top, corner to corner so that it forms a diamond shape.
Fold the other 2 corners together and make sure they stick to each other.
Brush with some more egg and bake for 15-20 minutes on 190 degrees Celsius or until the boerewors is cooked and the pastry is golden brown.
Mix the chicken, sriracha, mayo and pepper together.
Fill each roti with the chicken mix and some of the baby spinach.
Roll up tight and place in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Mix the corn, cucumber and mint together and keep aside.
Mix the vinegar, olive oil, lemon zest and juice and mustard together and season to taste.
Pour over the salad, mix and serve.
Heat some oil in a pan and add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry for 5 minutes.
Add the curry powder and fry for another 5 minutes.
Add the hake and tinned tomato and cook through until the hake is cooked. The filling shouldn’t be too runny.
Season with salt, pepper and sugar and cool down completely.
Place some of the filling onto each pastry disc and fold closed.
Press closed with a fork and brush with some beaten egg.
Bake for 15-20 minutes on 190 degrees Celsius or until golden brown.
Place the tinned peach slices in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Puree with a stick blender and add the sweet chilli sauce and cook on a low heat until sticky.
Serve with the empanadas.
Place the butter, syrup, white sugar, brown sugar and salt in a saucepan and melt together.
Add the bicarb and mix through.
Mix the coconut, oats, flour and spices together and add the wet ingredients.
Mix until combined and pour into a prepared baking dish.
Bake for 20-25 minutes on 170 degrees Celsius. Cool down.
Cut into squares and drizzle with some melted chocolate.
Willow Creek Olive Estate
Persian Lime Flavoured Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Delicate Extra Virgin Olive Oil with natural Persian Lime flavouring
Willow Creek Olive Estate
Jalapeño Flavoured Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Delicate Extra Virgin Olive Oil with natural Jalapeño flavouring
WILLOW CREEK OLIVE ESTATE
Willow Creek Olive Estate strives to be the preferred South African extra virgin olive oil brand by developing a diversified range of quality, ethical and trusted products that promote a healthy lifestyle. Our versatile range of premium olive-based products are constantly evolving to accommodate the culinary and sensory demands of consumers and connoisseurs alike.