How to Taste Olive Oil Like an Expert
Olive oil is a delicious and versatile ingredient that can be enjoyed in a variety of dishes. But did you know that there is a right way to taste olive oil? Here are a few tips on how to taste olive oil like an expert, courtesy of Willow Creek Olive Estate:
- Use the right tasting glass. A glass with a rounded base will help to warm the oil, which will unlock its unique flavour characteristics.
- Enjoy an apple slice after each taste test. Apples contain pectin, a natural fibre that helps cleanse the palate and prepare it for the next taste.
- Swirl the oil in your glass. This will release the oil’s aroma and flavour.
- Take a whiff of the oil. You should be able to detect fruity, grassy, or peppery notes.
- Taste the oil. Pay attention to the oil’s texture, flavour, and finish.
The importance of freshness
When tasting olive oil, it is important to consider the freshness of the oil. Olive oil begins to lose its flavour and nutritional value after about 12 months. If you are serious about tasting olive oil like an expert, it is important to use fresh oil.
The role of temperature
The temperature of the olive oil can also affect its flavour. Olive oil should be tasted at room temperature. If the oil is too cold, it will not release its full flavour. If the oil is too warm, it will taste bitter.
The importance of training your palate
Like any skill, tasting olive oil takes practice. The more you taste olive oil, the better you will become at detecting its unique flavours. We recommend starting by tasting a variety of different olive oils – our Cultivar Specific Extra Virgin Olive Oil 9-Pack Gift Set is perfect for your first tasting. This will help you develop your palate and learn to appreciate the different flavours of olive oil.
Visit a Tasting Room
If you’re looking for a more immersive olive oil-tasting experience, we invite you to visit our Tasting Room at Willow Creek Olive Estate. Here, you can sample our award-winning olive oils and learn more about the olive oil production process. Our friendly staff will be happy to answer any questions you have and help you find the perfect olive oil for your needs.
We hope these tips help you taste olive oil like an expert
WILLOW CREEK OLIVE ESTATE
Willow Creek Olive Estate strives to be the preferred South African extra virgin olive oil brand by developing a diversified range of quality, ethical and trusted products that promote a healthy lifestyle. Our versatile range of premium olive-based products is constantly evolving to accommodate the culinary and sensory demands of consumers and connoisseurs alike.