French onion soup with chevin goats cheese and garlic bread
I love this soup with all my heart and have been preparing it for years. There is just something so luxurious and comforting about onions slowly braising in lots of butter and garlic and slow-cooked with stock and wine. We use Laborie Chenin and fortified KWV Cape Tawny for this recipe and warm it just before serving with a shot of brandy which is classically French. This soup is great for winter, freezes well, and is great for entertaining large groups of people. It can easily be served as a starter or as a main course with a fresh baguette.
- 300 grams of butter plus some Willow Creek Truffle flavoured olive oil
- 1,5 kg Onions peeled, halved, and sliced
- 6 Garlic cloves peeled and grated
- 500 ml Laborie Chenin Blanc
- 250 ml KWV Cape Tawny
- 1 liter prepared chicken stock
- 3 Bay leaves
- 4 shots KWV Brandy
- 2 logs Chevin goats cheese cut into 8-12 discs
- 1 Store-bought garlic bread
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a large pot and add the onions, place the lid on the pot and sweat the onions slowly for about 20 minutes, add the garlic and gently brown for about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine, stock and bay leaves and gently cook for about one and a half hours.
- Place the cheese on a prepared baking tray and bake for 5 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Warm the garlic bread in the oven.
- Add brandy to a small saucepan and flambé. Add to the soup and serve with the garlic bread and the cheese on top.
- You can serve the soup with KWV Classic Collection Pinotage.
Willow Creek Olive Estate
Truffle Flavoured Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Delicate Extra Virgin Olive Oil with natural Garlic flavouring
WILLOW CREEK OLIVE ESTATE
Willow Creek Olive Estate strives to be the preferred South African extra virgin olive oil brand by developing a diversified range of quality, ethical and trusted products that promote a healthy lifestyle. Our versatile range of premium olive-based products are constantly evolving to accommodate the culinary and sensory demands of consumers and connoisseurs alike.