Deboned & Stuffed Lamb Rib With Dates, Almonds & Apricots
Frikkie has perfected the art of rolling lamb ribs and has done it for many weddings and functions where this dish has featured. It is easy to prepare and deliciously juicy. Once cooked in the oven it is a great idea to finish the meat on a fire over medium heat coals for extra smokiness. It’s great for summer or winter – simply serve with either lighter or heavier side dishes – and perfect for entertaining and feeding a large group.
- Butter and Willow Creek Garlic Flavoured Olive Oil for frying
- 2 onions, peeled, halved and sliced 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced 125ml chopped dates
125ml chopped almonds
- 125ml chopped dried Turkish apricots
- 20ml chopped fresh rosemary
- 20ml chopped fresh thyme 250ml panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large (1kg+) deboned lamb rib Kitchen twine
- 2 litres prepared chicken or lamb stock
- 750ml white wine
- Sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme
Notes and tips
For a smoky flavour, heat the whole rolled lamb rib on the braai. Use other nuts or dried fruit and feel free to experiment.
- Heat some butter and olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onions and garlic until soft and lightly browned. Leave to cool. Mix the onions, dates, almonds, apricots, herbs and bread crumbs together, then season to taste.
- Place the lamb rib on a chopping board and spread the stuffing down the middle. Roll the lamb lengthways into a log shape and tie with kitchen twine so that the stuffing stays inside.
- Preheat the oven. Scatter the rosemary and thyme in a deep ovenproof dish and place the lamb on top. Pour in the stock and wine and cover with foil. Roast for 2–3 hours or until the lamb
- Pour the sauce into a saucepan and allow to reduce until thickened. Leave the lamb to cool, then refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, slice the lamb into discs and place on a greased baking tray (or in the dish it was roasted in). Reheat the lamb in the oven and the sauce on the stove top until bubbling, and serve.
Willow Creek Olive Estate
Garlic Flavoured Olive Oil
Our award-winning Blood Orange Flavoured Olive Oil boasts a truly unique flavour that will have you drizzling a second helping faster than you can say ‘citrus’. If savoured properly, you’ll be able to detect slight raspberry undertones in addition to the expected zesty citrus flavouring. This delicious floral product consists of delicate extra virgin olive oil and natural blood orange flavouring.
WILLOW CREEK OLIVE ESTATE
Willow Creek Olive Estate strives to be the preferred South African extra virgin olive oil brand by developing a diversified range of quality, ethical and trusted products that promote a healthy lifestyle. Our versatile range of premium olive-based products is constantly evolving to accommodate the culinary and sensory demands of consumers and connoisseurs alike.