Cheese and Fruit plate with Grape Preserve and Nut Brittle
The combination of extravagant flavours and ingredients for this combination dessert is the perfect way to end a dinner party or Sunday lunch. Everybody can help themselves and the colours and richness of the preserve, brittle, cheeses and fruit will have everybody coming back for more. The glorious richness of the Cathedral Cellar Tryptich is a match made in heaven.
Use all your favourite cheeses such as Gorgonzola, Brie, Camembert and combine with fresh fruit such as grapes, figs, pomegranates and serve with toasted nuts and our Red Grape Preserve and Cashew Nut Brittle and Willow Creek Black Olives
Red grape preserve
Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 30 min
- 500g seedless red grapes, stalked
- 300g white sugar
- 50ml Fresh lemon juice
- 100ml water
- Place the grapes, sugar and water in a medium sized pot and place on a low heat.
- Once the mix is slowly boiling, skim off some of the foam that might rise to the top. This will ensure a clear jam.
- The jam will cook for approx. half an hour before you can add the lemon juice. This will provide some pectin for the jam to set.
- Boil the jam for another 5 minutes or until it becomes syrupy.
- Pour the jam into asterilisedjar and seal properly.
- Let it cool down completely before opening the jar.
How to sterilize a jar:
- Place the jar lid in a container and pour boiling water over it. Leave for at least 10 minutes.
- Fill the jar with boiling water and place in the microwave for 4 minutes on high.
- Once the jar and lid has beensterilised– pour your jam inside while the jar is still hot.
- Seal tightly and turn the jar on its lid side for the jar to form a vacuum.
Cashew nut brittle
Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 10 min
- 100g roasted and salted cashew nuts
- 125ml (1/2 cup) castor sugar
- 50ml water
- 5ml fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Place the castor sugar, water and lemon juice in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Shake the pan until the sugar is dissolved. The mixture should not boil before the sugar is dissolved otherwise the mixture willcrystallise.
- Boil the sugar mix until it starts tocarameliseto a light brown colour.
- Take it off the heat and add the cashew nuts.
- Mix through and pour onto baking paper or a silicon mat.
- Once cool, break into shards or chop into bite size pieces.