Asparagus Panna Cotta with pancetta and Smoked Trout.
Panna Cotta is usually prepared as a dessert but this recipe calls for the savoury delicate flavours of Asparagus and lightly smoked Trout which pares wonderfully with the Cathedral Cellar Sauvignon Blanc. The acidity of the wine cuts through the creamy rich texture of this dish. The Panna Cotta and Smoked Trout can be made well in advance and is sure to be a show stopper
Prep time – Panna Cotta 20 min
Prep time – Ocean trout 30 – 45 min
Setting time: Minimum of 2 hours
- 50g fresh asparagus, blanched
- Handful of English spinach, washed and dried
- Half an onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoonsWillow Creek Persian LimeOlive Oil
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 100ml fresh cream
- 200ml crème fraiche
- 200ml double cream yogurt
- 10g (1 sachet)gelatinepowder, sponged in 50ml water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil on a low heat until well cooked.
- Add the chicken stock and the cream and bring to a boil.
- Place the whole mix with the spinach and asparagus in a jug blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour through a sieve in a bowl and add the crèmefraîcheand double cream yogurt.
- Mix well and season to taste.
- Melt the spongedgelatinein the microwave for 10 to 20 seconds and add to the asparagus mix.
- Mix well so that thereisno lumps.
- Pour the mix intodariolemoulds or any other preferred mould and place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
Smoked ocean trout
- 1 Whole fresh ocean trout, cleaned
- 1 Pack of oak barrel shavings
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Make a small fire in your braai (we use a Weber) with charcoal and leave it until it is nice and warm.
- Place a piece ofheavy-dutyfoil on the grid.
- Place the whole fish on the foil and cover with a lid or more foil.
- Leave on the braai for approx. 20 minutes or until the fish is cooked but not dry.
- Take the fish off the grid and let it cool until you can remove the skin.
- Flake the fish and remove any small bones.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Add the lemon zest and juice for extraflavour.
Unmould the panna cottas with some warm water on a platter or on individual plates. Serve with pan fried pancetta, blanched asparagus and the smoked ocean trout.