Apart from the rich and flavourful taste of Willow Creek Olive Estate’s delicious range of extra virgin olive oils (EVOO), our products also offer an abundance of well-researched health benefits. In other words, you are not only treating your taste buds when indulging in our incredible EVOO collection but also enriching your mind and nourishing your body.
Why is extra virgin olive oil so healthy?
Extra Virgin Olive oil is produced by crushing whole olives to a paste and extracting the natural oils from this stone fruit by either mechanical or chemical means. Depending on the different processing techniques used, the olive oils produced may vary in terms of refinement.
Extra virgin olive oil is unrefined and produced by cold extraction of olives at the desired level of ripeness to ensure a top-grade product. This means that the oil retains its natural vitamins and antioxidants, which makes it a healthier option compared to processed oils.
EVOO contains omega-9, omega-6 and omega-3. These healthy fats along with a variety of vitamins naturally present in extra virgin olive oil, contribute to the multiple health benefits commonly associated with it.
1. Say goodbye to inflammation
EVOO harbours more than one natural ingredient that can help ease stiff joints. Researchers have established that oleic acid found in EVOO plays a role in reducing inflammation, which can help with the alleviation of inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis. Oleocanthal, a well-known antioxidant compound found in EVOO, has been proven to exhibit the same pharmacological activity as ibuprofen, thereby naturally reducing inflammation.
2. Good cholesterol for the win
Since EVOO contains such high levels of monounsaturated fatty acids, it can help to maintain a healthy cholesterol balance. Furthermore, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) recently stated that the consumption of olive oil high in phenolic content can help to prevent cholesterol oxidation. By preventing plaque formation in blood vessels, you significantly reduce your chances of cardiovascular disease.
3. No more sugar highs
Another interesting study found that adding a bit of EVOO to food can reduce the glycemic index of any hearty meal. This means that extra virgin olive oil can protect you against type 1 diabetes. EVOO contains other bioactive compounds, like polyphenols, which are loaded with antioxidants and could help to prevent fat build-up in the body, especially in the liver. This helps to better control blood sugar levels after meals.
4. Taking the pressure off
By consuming two daily tablespoons of polyphenol-rich extra virgin olive oil, you can lower your systolic blood pressure. EVOO can help to improve the dilation of arteries which lowers the risk of a heart attack or stroke. It can also improve abnormal heart rhythms and boost your overall heart health. In other words, if you are serious about keeping your heart healthy, then our range of Willow Creek Olive Estate extra virgin olive oils would be the perfect addition to your kitchen pantry.
5. An amazing source of antioxidants
Some of the main antioxidants in EVOO are flavones, lignans, acids, phenol alcohols and secoiridoids. These molecules not only help to prolong the shelf-life of each bottle of extra virgin olive oil you purchase, but also benefit overall health. The antioxidants present in extra virgin olive oil fight free radicals present in our bodies. An excess of free radicals are known to cause oxidative stress and have been linked to various cancers.
Make Your Health A Priority In 2021
By: Hester de Wet
It is now more important than ever to have a strong, healthy immune system. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is known for its various health benefits, of which one is its high content of antioxidants.
The immune system is like any other system in the world – it is only as strong as its weakest link. For the immune system to function optimally, intact cells must communicate with each other. Unfortunately, the natural process of life damages these cells by means of oxidation. We can, however, help protect our cells against the damage. This is where antioxidants come in. Antioxidants help protect our bodies against cell damage by neutralizing free radicals formed during oxidation. EVOO is filled with naturally present polyphenolic compounds, a micronutrient that acts as an antioxidant. The dominant polyphenol in EVOO is oleuropein and is responsible for that distinct peppery taste that lingers in the throat.
Winter is coming. Buy Willow Creek Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
BY ALINDA VAN DYK
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is the healthiest choice for using as a cooking oil and food dressing and the fact that the oil is Cold Pressed plays a key role in the RETENTION of health benefits.
To clarify – cold pressing refers to the traditional method of pressing olive oil, using granite stones and hydraulic mat presses. Today olive oil is EXTRACTED by means of modern machinery using a hammer mill, malaxer and centrifugal system to extract the olive oil from the solid mass. Hence the modern used term COLD EXTRACTED.
The fact that a cold extracted method is used to make Extra Virgin Olive Oil, ENSURES the retention of all the natural nutrients and antioxidants.
Cold Extracted Extra Virgin Olive Oil is rich in
- Polyphenols and Antioxidants
- Vitamins E, A and K
- MINERALS such as Iron, Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium.
Extra Virgin Olive oil is also a mono-unsaturated fat, which simply means a HEALTHY FAT.
The numerous beneficial nutrients in cold pressed extra virgin olive oil provide many important health benefits. As Extra Virgin Olive Oil is COLD EXTRACTED, the nutrients that are retained are substantially higher than oils that have been heated during processing or chemically treated.
The question I ask is – if COLD PRESSED EVOO is the ultimate quality with the most benefits – why settle for less when it comes to looking after your body?
Though the benefits of olive oil has been proven through many studies and research – always first confirm with your doctor should you have any doubt and suffer from a serious illness. My list below is supported by many institutions and research, but remains a suggestion and remember PREVENTION is key…
- HEART HEALTH
- February is the month of LOVE and I can’t help but start with the one thing that makes love TICK…..our hearts! Give your heart a lot of love with “Extra” care an include Extra Virgin Olive Oil in your daily diet.
- Cold Pressed EVOO is vital to excellent heart health. HOW? Olive Oil contains 65 – 85% monounsaturated fats – substantially higher than most other cooking oils.
- It raises the levels of HDL cholesterol (Good cholesterol) in your blood, that helps combat and break-down the Low-density lipoproteins (LDL) or simply put – BAD cholesterol
- Controlling the levels of bad cholesterol, Cold Pressed Extra Virgin PREVENTS and COMBATS the clogging and build-up of plaque in your heart and arteries, which in turn also aids in the prevention of strokes caused by dietary factors.
Motto: A dollop of Extra Virgin Olive Oil a day – keeps the doctor away!
- Conceded world-wide, it is a fact that there is a direct correlation between what you consume, and cancer. The International Olive Oil Council reports that cell mutations and cancer is caused by toxins that “attack the DNA”.
- Many other reports and institutes explain it as oxidative stress where free radicals ( coming from food sources) latch on to other cells and parts in the body, leading to cancer and mutations.
- Extra Virgin Olive oil contains predominantly monounsaturated fatty acids (oleic acid) which is a very short and stable carbon bond. You therefore have low incidences of free radicals that occur within the body. Free radicals (key factor in cancer) occur more predominantly with other fats with triglycerides and have been associated with prostate cancers.
- The polyphenols in Extra Virgin Olive Oil are STRONG ANTI-OXIDANTS. The anti-oxidants and vitamins help combat OXIDATION of body cells. When cells oxidize they AGE and BREAK DOWN. Oxidative stress in the body can lead to many forms of cancer.
- The use of cold pressed olive oil has been associated with reduced risks of bowel, prostate and breast cancer.
- An olive-oil-rich diet is known to be an alternative or support treatment to diabetes – especially in type 2 diabetes. However, is is also a PREVENTATIVE measure and can prevent or delay the onslaught of diabetes.
- Cold Extracted Extra Virgin Olive Oil reduces blood sugar more than other fats. A study led by Franceso Violo at the University in Rome, was conducted to compare EVOO with other oils after consumption, to establish the effect of the oils on glucose levels. The study indicated that when used in a Mediterranean diet, Extra Virgin Olive oil has the lowest increase of blood sugar levels after a meal, in comparison to other healthy cooking oils.
- Many other findings and studies also confirm that cold pressed EVOO are linked to higher levels of insulin, which is beneficial for type 2 diabetics.
- Extra Virgin Olive contains an antioxidant called tyrosol – an agent that assists insulin levels.
- Whether you eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, or just a little – if you include Extra Virgin Olive Oil in your diet, it WILL have a protective effect on your bowel and digestive system.
- Beta-Sitosterol is a compound found in olive oil. Widely used for heart disease and high cholesterol, it is this same compound that prevents cholesterol absorption in the digestive system.
- But what does this mean in laymen terms? Simply that EVOO is easily digested and acts as a mild laxative and prevents constipation. Simply put – olive oil keeps your system well oiled.
5. HAIR AND SKIN HEALTH
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil is rich in Anti-Oxidants and Vitamin E and is an excellent product to MOISTURIZE and NOURISH both your skin and hair.
- The “antioxidants” in Extra Virgin Olive Oil does exactly what the word indicates – it is ANTI OXIDATION – combatting the oxidation of cells – therefore the aging of cell.
- So, if EVER you thought an anti-aging cream is nonsense – think again! Here is a natural way of nourishing your hair and skin.
- As COLD PRESSED extra virgin retains the most nutrients, there is no reason to neglect your skin and hair with second grade olive oils. Use the best to achieve the best results.
TIPS for applying to skin and hair:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil can be applied directly to the skin, as it is a natural product and has no additives or chemicals. Gently rub the best quality oil on your skin for good results.
Mix: If you find the olive oil to oily – mix with a tub of Aqueous Cream for easy application and absorption. I suggest a ratio of 1-unit olive oil to 10 units aqueous.
General hair treatment TIP
Generously rub olive oil onto your scalp and hair. Cover your head with a towel or shower cap and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water and a mild shampoo.
Make some of your own infused treatments. The combination of certain fresh herbs or essential oils increase the success. Pour the Olive Oil in a bottle and infuse with fresh herbs such as sage and rosemary, or flowers like lavender.
For essential oils – Rule of thumb: 50 drops essential oil to 250ml Olive Oil
Beware of applying aromatherapy oils directly to skin!
Lavender and Rosemary are ideal for hair growth and Lemon Grass is excellent in combination with olive oil to combat dry scalp!
Vet bills getting you down? See how you can save some money and have a healthy pet with olive oil.
By Dané Cilliers
Pet parents and pet lovers only want the best for their pets, but sometimes the budget is just too tight to rush to the vet for a 10 min consultation. Our furry little friends however very cute can be very expensive to maintain medically. Olive oil is not only a great natural remedy for humans but can also be beneficial for your pets, specifically dogs and cats with healthy coats & hairball management and more. Although Olive oil can be a superfood for our furry friends, too much can have a negative effect. So, ensure you moderately make use of olive oil and get the “okay” from your vet if your pet may have any health problems or you want to be extra cautious.
An amazing addition to your pooch’s diet, olive oil for dogs packs a healthy punch. Here are a few reasons why you should share olive oil with your canine.
Incorporating olive oil into your dogs’ diet:
Olive oil is rich in fats which is valuable to keep a healthy long-living dog. Potential benefits include the prevention of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, and excess weight gain and a healthier immune system according to Rover.com.
You can mix olive oil into your dog’s regular food according to their body weight. Dependent on your dogs’ size always liaises with a vet to figure out the right dosages.
Olive oil for dogs’ immune system health:
Olive oil can also be beneficial for your dogs’ immune system. Olive oil is rich in polyphenols and carotenoids which will help improve their immune system. Having a strong immune system is essential for your dog to help fight off infection, as well as helping your dog transition from one season to the next because just like humans, dogs too can get sick when the weather changes. We all want our dogs to have a healthy wet nose but not a runny nose. For senior dogs who suffer from hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, arthritis, and osteoarthritis studies have found that olive oil links to brain health and joint health.
For senior dogs who suffer from hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, arthritis, and osteoarthritis studies have found that olive oil links to brain health and joint health.
Feel good and look good:
If your dog has dry, flaky skin you do not necessarily have to spend a fortune on fancy shampoos and conditioners. Olive Oil contains healing properties which means it can ease and prevent dry skin on your pooch A bonus tip: A natural remedy to get rid of dog fleas is to mix olive oil and lavender oil.
Olive oil is a great remedy for their dry skin but be careful of floor and furniture stains. A less messy way to ensure a shiny coat is to incorporate olive oil into the diet. Omega 3-fatty acids help moisturize the skin and prevent flakes from returning. All you need to do is add about ½ tablespoon of olive oil to your dog’s food twice a day for several days. Extra virgin olive is best because it is lower in acid content that gives a fresher flavor.
Cost-effective remedy for dog ears:
Those floppy ears breeds (such as Bernese Dogs) and white dog breeds (such as Chihuahua) are most common to have ear infections or dry skin around their ears.
If you are experiencing an overpowering dog smell in your home, it may be the yeasty smell that comes from such infections. The fantastic thing about using olive oil for dog’s ears is that it is cheap and is readily available. If your dog may be showing signs of having an irritated ear and your vet is closed you can start by massaging the ear with warm olive oil- be careful that the oil is not too hot (meaning not above room temperature). You can also insert slightly warmed olive oil with a dropper into your dog’s ear but rather advise your vet before doing so to prevent any negative effects.
For more information regarding olive oil for your dog, read the article linked below:
As a parent for your feline sweetheart, you are always cautious about what we give them. But in short: You can absolutely feed olive oil to your cat however if you do make sure that you feed it in moderation. Olive oil is considered non-toxic to cats and can be a great supplement in their diet. Before we list all the benefits, we advise that the best type of olive oil to use is an extra virgin.
Extra virgin olive oil is less acidic and is not chemically treated, making it safer for cats to consume. Extra virgin olive oil is also much higher quality oil that will ensure your cat does not get sick.
Olive oil can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases and diabetes, boost the immune system and help your cat lose weight.
Olive oil is a natural remedy for constipation in cats. It has a laxative effect and can contribute to curing hairballs. It is suggested that you mix one teaspoon of olive oil into your cats’ food for three days as a hairball cure. In general, it is recommended that you should always start by feeding your cats small amounts of olive oil and then increase the feedings. For conditioning, you can feed one teaspoon every three days.
Adding olive oil to your cats’ diet on a regular basis will even keep fur shiny and soft.
Besides your cats’ diet, pet owners can use olive oil to prevent ear infection. Follow the link for step by step guide on how to use olive oil in your cats’ ear.
Who knew that this pantry staple could do so much good for your furry best friend?