Fish and “slap” chips, jalapeño poppers, onion rings, chicken strips, samosas, calamari, crumbed mushrooms. Whether we enjoy it on FRYdays or per occasion, we South Africans sure like our fried foods!
Many of us still want the same hot, crispy satisfaction, but without the guilt, so we look to other oils. Perhaps extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)? You bet!
Frying temperature is usually around 180 ˚C, and with EVOO and seed oil’s smoking point (the moment a bluish smoke forms and gives food a burnt flavour) both being higher than that (± 210 ˚C), how do you choose? To help you decide, we will give a quick breakdown of what happens during heating of oil:
When oil is heated, chemical breakdown slowly starts happening. There are mainly 3 by-products formed, namely non-volatile polar compounds, triacylglycerol dimers and polymers. The latter two is associated with various forms of cancer and neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Disease (dosage is important!). These 3 by-products are mainly formed from fatty acids, the main component in oils.
The difference in cooking oils lies in their reaction to this heating process:
- Studies have shown that the free fatty acid content in EVOO remains unchanged after 30 minutes of heating, while other oils increase. This means that there is little breakdown into the 3 by-products.
- EVOO’s initial trans-fat content is extremely low due to its natural, unrefined state. After heating, it only increases slightly. Even this increased trans-fat content is still less than seed oils’ initial content! Trans-fats can increase LDL (bad) cholesterol, which is linked to several heart conditions.
- The longer you fry food, the more polar compounds form. EVOO has the lowest polar compound content after heating.
- EVOO contains antioxidants, which protects it against oxidation during heating. The refining process of other oils destroys all the antioxidants, leaving it vulnerable to rapid oxidation. The protection antioxidants lend to EVOO, is what makes it a stable oil to cook with and your food will not taste rancid or “old”.
So, when the craving for “slap” chips hit you, rather grab the Willow Creek Extra Virgin Olive Oil on your shelf. You can use the same EVOO for frying up to 5 times!
Disclaimer: This article does in no way endorse an unhealthy diet associated with fried foods, nor is it the intention to diminish other vegetable and seed oils. Its only purpose is to educate the consumer to allow them to make an informed decision.
Valentine’s Day Ideas: A Romantic Picnic at Willow Creek Olive Estate
Running low on unique Valentine’s Day ideas? We have the perfect solution! How about spending an unforgettable day on our farm sharing a romantic picnic basket with your better half while marveling at our breathtaking views? Willow Creek Olive Estate can help to rekindle the romance in your relationship this February.
Below, we have outlined unique ways that you can make this Valentine’s Day extra special. Simply pay Willow Creek Olive Estate a visit and watch the romance unfold!
Let Romance Blossom Between Our Olive Groves
When it comes to breath-taking views that seem to stretch on forever over glistening olive groves, we’ve got you covered. The majestic Langeberg mountain range that’s seemingly always covered by a soft blanket of clouds serves as the perfect backdrop to any romantic moments you wish to immortalise on camera.
Willow Creek Olive Estate is perfectly located in the centre of Mother Nature’s finest scenery, which gives it an inherently romantic atmosphere. When taking a romantic stroll at our Estate, you’ll find that almost any location on our farm lends itself to confessing one’s feelings of love and adoration.
In short, Willow Creek Olive Estate is the perfect location for a romantic date. Just bring your significant other and Mother Nature will provide the rest!
Valentine’s Day Ideas For Romantic Picnic Décor
When visiting Willow Creek Olive Estate with a picnic basket in hand, you need to make sure that you choose the right décor for this romantic occasion. Yes, Mother Nature will provide a scenic backdrop free of charge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t go the extra mile when it comes to making your significant other feel special.
Silk is always a great choice when you want to bring a luxurious feel to any occasion. And seeing that we are celebrating Valentine’s Day, red would be the ideal colour. Although a silk blanket isn’t the conventional choice, it will certainly help to set a romantic mood.
If you are planning to visit our Estate a bit later in the afternoon, then you can also light a candle or two. Don’t forget the flower bouquet. Roses are ideal, but any beautiful flower will do.
Romantic Picnic Refreshments
No romantic picnic would be complete without tasty refreshments that perfectly complement the occasion. Luckily, Willow Creek Olive Estate’s very own picnic baskets are packed to the brim with mouth-watering appetizers.
Our picnic baskets contain the following delectable snacks:
- Slices of fresh bread.
- Savoury biscuits.
- 1 Nuy Sparkling Grape Juice.
- 1 Willow Creek Olive Estate pesto of your choice.
- 1 Willow Creek Olive Estate olive product of your choice.
- 1 Cold meat of your choice.
- 2 Mini cheeses of your choice.
What’s not to love? A romantic picnic at Willow Creek Olive Estate definitely beats most conventional Valentine’s Day ideas, and will have your date eating out of the palm of your hand.
With Willow Creek Olive Estate, it’s easy to woo your crush. We provide the lovely scenic views and picnic basket, and you provide what only you can offer – yourself. Swoop her off her feet and book your picnic basket today!
You are cordially invited to enjoy a Picnic at Olive Estate
Enjoy an unforgettable picnic on the beautiful farm of the Willow Creek Olive Estate. We provide the delicious food basket and you are allowed to bring along your own drinks (alcoholic or not) with no corkage fee!
Our picnic baskets are available from Mondays to Saturdays and bookings are required for 10+ guests.
The Picnic Basket Includes:
- Slices of fresh bread
- Savoury biscuits
- 1 Sparkling Grape Juice
- 1 Willow Creek Olive Estate pesto of your choice
- 1 Willow Creek Olive Estate olive product of your choice
- 1 Cold meat of your choice
- 2 Mini cheeses of your choice
Picnic Package Price:
Book your Picnic at Willow Creek Olive Estate